Ductless Mini Split Electrical Requirements

January 8, 2009 by Shawn Mack  
Filed under Installation Guide, Technical Guide

“Before purchase of a mini split air conditioner make sure you have an available circuit breaker in your electrical box.”

Installation of mini split air conditioners requires the ability to work with both refrigerants and electricity.  When purchasing any ductless air conditioner be aware of the voltage requirements in the manufacturer specifications.  The most common electrical specifications will require either 110 volt or 220 volt wiring. 

When searching for mini split air conditioners remember that 110 volt systems are generally only used on units 12,000 btu. or less.  Anything above 12,000 btu. will be manufactured 220 volt.

Unlike window air conditioners that plug into electrical receptacles, most mini split air conditioners are hard wired from the electrical fuse box.

Generally, mini split outdoor condensers receive power from the electrical fuse box through an outdoor disconnect box for safety.  Always use a disconnect box when wiring mini split air conditioners. 

Check with the local electrical safety code for the proper distance between the disconnect box and the mini split condenser.  In most cases the disconnect box should be located close enough to pull the power while standing at the outdoor condenser.

The indoor evaporators receive power directly from the outdoor condenser.  Electrical wiring is run alongside the refrigerant line set.

Make sure to check the requirements for proper electrical wiring gauge.  The systems I have worked with used 14 gauge high voltage wiring for the entire system.

Proper breaker size is also very important.  Before purchase of a mini split air conditioner make sure you have an available circuit breaker in your electrical box.  Ductless air conditions require the use of its own circuit breaker. 

A dual pole 20 Amp circuit breaker handles most manufactured mini split systems up to 24,000 btu.  Make sure to check with the manufacture specifications for proper circuit breaker sizing.

Make sure to contact your city hall to obtain the proper permit for the electrical work being performed.


13 Responses to “Ductless Mini Split Electrical Requirements”
  1. raymond Says:

    Could explain to me how a 24000btu equivalent to 7000 watt/hr requiring
    31.8 amps at 220 volts with a wire no 10 can be fuse with a 20 amp breaker ? Is there something that I missed here ?

  2. get laid in college Says:

    Can I just say what a aid to find somebody who truly knows what theyre speaking about on the internet.

    You definitely know find out how to bring an issue to gentle and make it important.
    More individuals need to learn this and perceive this facet
    of the story. I cant consider youre not more in style because you undoubtedly have the gift.

  3. Dan Says:

    After looking over a handful of the blog articles on your
    web page, I truly appreciate your way of writing a blog. I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark site list
    and will be checking back in the near future. Please visit my web
    site as well and let me know what you think.

  4. heel Lifts insoles Says:

    Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.

  5. backlinks-and-lenses.blogspot.com Says:

    The concept of your blog is extremely fresh, I am certain that
    the interested parties who will find your blogs surely like your content and pointers.

  6. jon Says:

    Are there split units that are powered by the inside air handler therefore
    eliminating the need to hard wire the condensor?

  7. greg Says:

    Dude is out of breakers in panel. Can I run a 1 ton mini off a lighting breaker? 20 amp.

  8. Shawn Says:

    Yes, there are many mini split air conditioners that can be run on a 20 amp dedicated circuit breaker. Make sure to read the ductless air conditioners specification manual to verify its power consumption.

  9. Wayne Says:

    I have little experience with the Mistubishi Mr slim mini split. I came across a unit that was blowing 67 degrees at the indoor evaporator and it was calling for 59 degrees. the condensing unit was getting 180 volts from the disconnect.

    Any suggestions?


  10. George Killian Says:

    I’ve got an 80′ run to a panel I’m installing upstairs. I’m looking at 2 bedrooms and one larger recreation room. Also looking at the M series. Can you tell me what size wire I should run to the new panel to handle the 3 units. Can I get by with 10/3? Would I need a breaker for each unit or a disconnect for each outside.. Does the inside fan units just run on 110V? Thanks for your help

  11. James Says:

    CALL a darn HVAC contractor!!!!! Have them pull A darn Permit!!! Do I come to the doctors office and try to conduct a liver transplant? Stop messing up the systems. It is going to cost you twice as much when we come out to fix your mistakes. Hey, Take apart your entire engine then call a mechanic. LOL

  12. Gene Says:

    I had a licensed HVAC contractor install a Gree EVO 12,000 btu single mini-split, and a licensed electrician install a sub panel and wiring. County required separate permits, and now inspector says I need to have a disconnect installed inside the room with the wall unit. Breaker and condenser are outide within about 3′ of each other. He says still need an interior disconnect. Doesn’t sound right to me… is the inspector right, or how can I dispute?

  13. creep Says:

    James is a DUCK!

Tell us what you're thinking... write a comment response below.